Sunday, June 19, 2011

Downtown Scavenger Hunt

Solar Parking Meters
It's been a while since I've been to downtown Ft. Myers. There are many places that are tucked away in areas I would never have thought to explore prior to the scavenger hunt. If you are just driving around in your car its very easy to miss how many new places there are. I didn't know about the art galleries that were here or about the Ichiban in the Hotel Indigo. One thing I did notice was that there were a lot of law firms scattered everywhere. The coolest law firm was the one that took over the old building that used to house First National Bank. Unfortunately I didn't snap a picture of it but it looked authoritative and noble, to say the least. A rather odd building that I spotted was a very skinny 3 story building which was occupied by a salon. This building really stood out from all the others and didn't fit in. I thought it was neat to see such an unusual building because it added character to the environment. Other buildings had old designs on them that you just don't see on modern buildings anymore, such as lions and other fancy looking things that would remind you of the Rennaisance period. I took a peak inside Space 39 and I liked how artistic it appeared to be, especially for being a bar. The tattoo shops were also neat to take a peak inside because they were also artistic. Every so often there was a particular sign that you would see along First St. The sign explains how the street used to be a sandy trail until it was paved with shells for automobiles to drive through. The downtown area didn't develope until the 19th century and tourism contributed to its growth.

Sign on First St.





























I had such a fun time in downtown today that I plan to come back during a time when it is more busy and more places are open. It looks like it would also be a fun place to come to at night since there are several good looking bars and restaraunts.

I think the stores that have moved in, combined with the old-style buildings, is what makes the place special and unique. Even the dentists that have moved in have a different sense of style than the dentists you would find elsewhere. I think maybe the area brings that out of the tenants because perhaps that is a vibe that they sense from being here.


A glimpe inside the General Dentist office


No comments:

Post a Comment