Saturday, June 18, 2011

Untold Stories: Downtown Ft. Myers

Ford, Edison, & Firestone

 I agree that preserving the history of an area is important. Seeing architecture of a time long past creates a sense of culture rooted in history. Besides, it's always fun to take that detour into the historical district of a city and just have fun exploring! It's been a while since I've been to downtown Ft. Myers and I am looking forward to going there perhaps tomorrow. It's also nice because it gives you a sense of history in relation to the present which, puts a dot on the map, so to speak.

 I've visited the Edison Estates once before and it felt nice to know that I was walking in what used to be the property of Thomas Edison. You can't really let things like that go to waste and be forgotten, especially when it's right here. It's hard to imagine what Ft. Myers would be like if such were the case and nothing was preserved at all. Downtown Ft. Myers has it's own little sparkle with a lot of potential if more retail businesses would move in. They've done a good job of renovating and making it look pretty. I used to sometimes go there to see how it has been developing.

 The area near the bridge in downtown that overlooks the water is such an amazing view. One can only imagine what life was like before roads were abound. I imagine life was quite difficult. Nowadays we have performing art centers, community colleges, and the newest university to join the state university system, FGCU. Though I can appreciate the history to get the point we are at now, I am definitely glad to be here today in this time. Yet, the area will only continue to grow, so it is best we think about the direction it should head while we remember it's past.

No comments:

Post a Comment