Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Debriefing Entry #15

Colloquium was a very great experience and was a class unlike any other class I have ever taken. It's makes for a more meaningful learning experience when you actually get to go out to learn while visiting unique areas of Florida. During the course of this class I feel as if I have developed a deeper bond and tie to the area. I feel that I am more conscious of my environment and that I became more conscious of my own choices in daily life.

The class offered different perspectives on the same issues, and made me think heavily about where I stand and what I believe should happen. The class offered a wealth of information that I had fun analyzing and writing about as well. I enjoyed thinking critically and also enjoyed the hands-on and realistic approach the class took.

I am studying law so I was very intrigued to learn about some of the issues that have a tendency to halt more sustainable options in regards to laws and regulations. One area of law I am interested to learn more about is environmental law especially since there is a lot of nature vs. science out there and the two seem to be battling. There are so many parallels in law & environment, but sometimes what is good for us becomes lost to the realm of politics, which is not a good thing. Without laws and regulations in place respecting environmental concerns the chances for abuse would be too great. This is why it is important that we make good law in this area and realize that it should not be based too greatly in politics because these are not "political" issues per se, but should be considered in a light most favorable to human life and protecting life in general. While technology can contribute to the betterment of life, technology must also consider how to continue to do so in a way that won't compromise our environment.

While such things may not be a priority in the majority opinion, it is something which must now and forever be addressed. I can only hope that more people will realize why there must always be a balance. We cannot forgo responsibilities to the environment simply for our indulgences. There must be a balance that aims at ways to nourish the surroundings. In time, law and technology will be better at preserving and protecting our Earth and hopefully this won't be seen as a bad thing for companies or people.

One of the things I found most difficult about the colloquium was the Weather Makers portion of the class. The accompanying book was loaded with tons of information and sifting through it all made it difficult to digest. The high points of the class was going on trips, doing journal entries, class entries & participation, and all of the short papers.

No comments:

Post a Comment