Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Service Learning Experience, #14

 http://youtu.be/Efdlb1GV8Zo

I had the opportunity to work with a wildlife refuge and rehabilitation center located in Punta Gorda, Fl. The center is dedicated to the care and the preservation of native Florida wildlife. From the outside the place seems very peaceful and relaxed, but working there is a whole other story! The truth is that a lot of time, effort, and energy is spent in order to treat these animals. Suprisingly, even a small bird will cost over $100 in order to rehabilitate it back into the wild. Animals that cannot be rehabilitated will end up spending their life at the refuge because they will not be able to make it on their own. However, most of the animals will return to the wild and that is the goal of the wildlife center. I think it is fascinating that they operate as a non-profit organization and yet their jobs are so essential to conserving the species that end up there.
 
The reason why I chose this facility is because I love animals and I know why they are important to our environment.  Another reason why I chose this facility is because it's good morally to help give animals another chance at life. I also see it as one of our humanly responsibilities to look after the species. I think it is important that we learn how to coexist with these animals as well. The more you know about the animals that live here, the more concerned you will be about their survival and the less likely you will injure one accidentally, i.e. like when fishermen accidentally injure birds with their lines because they leave their lines out.

I learned that some of the animals that end up at the shelter are endangered such as indigo snakes, red-cockaded woodpeckers, and brown pelicans. The animals I wanted to care for in particular were the birds but in the end I got to care for all of the animals except for the raccoons, eagles, and the snakes! Working with these animals in particular was reserved for those with more experience.

All in all, there are many considerations that are given to the animals as they are recovering besides the basic needs of food, shelter, and water. Their environment must mimic that of their natural environment. This is very important if they are to survive in the wild again. This is why the animals are kept in habitats that are most suitable to their species. The staff must also be careful to not treat these animals as if they are pets although it can be quite tempting.

Working at the facility helped me to take better care of my own animals at home and it brought a smile to my face each day I got to help out. I also learned more about the animals, their habits, the foods they eat, how they nest, how they care for their young, how to help the injured animals, and the kind of shelter they need in the wild. The people working there were all very passionate about what they do and it had a good effect on me.


A beautiful mother heron with her young
   

No comments:

Post a Comment